SEMESTER IN SAN FRANCISCO
The 16-week semester program offers a full load of four courses and is right for students who are excited to commit an extended period of time immersed in place-based learning, networking, collaborating, and building. The semester is designed for tech-curious students with no technical background to become proficient in advanced interface design and dynamic web application programming. From week 1, students will be challenged to think computationally, create a foundational understanding of technology, and develop a curiosity to explore relevant concepts.
In addition, the curriculum interweaves a humanities course that will contextualize and question the role of technology in our society. We’ll explore, comment on, critique, or celebrate the impact of tech via the lens of justice, ethics, and community not only in the classroom but also in our surroundings in San Francisco. We’ll visit tech companies, network with professionals, and build a career toolkit specifically designed to launch students into a variety of roles in tech.
Come explore the tech industry with us!
“I am really glad that I decided to join Adjacent this past semester. I learned amazing skills, grew as an individual in ways I couldn’t imagine and met some of the most wonderful people I’ve ever met. I think that when I will be looking back in my life in 5 years, I will consider this experience one of the most influential of my life. This program really opened my eyes and made me see that I can truly do anything I want to.”
Christos Kuompotis, Davidson College ’23, Undecided
“I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity and everything I’ve learned thus far. Would I recommend this to everyone? YES! This has hands down been my best semester at Davidson thus far. Between what I learned, how I learned, and the possibilities left to learn, every expectation was met and blown out of proportion.”
Jaelyn Taylor, Davidson College ’22, Digital & Computational Studies
“Through our collaboration with Adjacent I have seen students combine their interests from art to sustainability to politics with technology and create powerful projects in a short period of time. Students walk away with more competence and confidence to access internships and jobs in tech, and many of those students didn’t know how to or didn’t think they could before this program.”
Owen Mundy, Visiting Associate Professor of Digital Studies at Davidson College
Live in the world's innovation hub
Live in downtown San Francisco
Commute within a 10 minute walk
Visit tech companies like LinkedIn, Slack, Remind, and more
Explore city sights on evenings, weekends and holiday breaks
DIG 245: Critical Web Design
Conceptualize, design, and program websites using HTML/CSS and execute interactive projects that are both culturally-relevant and technically sophisticated.
CSC 108: Explorations in Computer Science
Learn the basics of computer science and structured programming by creating projects such as multi-page websites, browser extensions, interactive games, and more.
English 234: Beyond the Single Story
Explore the relationship between human and non-human worlds through fiction and venture beyond the “single story.” (JEC)
CIS 125: Praticum
Engage in project-based experiences that, through critical reflection, connect prior academic content and tech-adjacent skills
Tuition & Admission Requirements
There is no additional cost to tuition to do this program. Your tuition and financial aid cover the full cost of the program, which includes meals, housing, materials. You’ll be responsible for your local transportation and personal expenses during your time in San Francisco.
All students are encouraged to apply and complete the interview process. This program will select for students interested in technology and who will be comfortable in and motivated by an intensive, highly collaborative, and self-motivated learning experience.
Selection into this program is not guaranteed.
- The biggest thing that I got out of Adjacent was the confidence and skillset to learn anything. I feel completely comfortable in the confusion of trying to learn something completely new. It’s amazing!
- I’m pretty much mind blown at how cool this program is. I don’t think a lot of people come out of college with tech skills and therefore have to learn on the job, but having a solid foundation like this without compromising time during the semester is invaluable.
- Adjacent showed me that there are so many possibilities/fields within the tech industry. It was nice learning how the people we met in the industry got to where they are now. It showed me that I don’t have to be a programmer to be there, but that having some experience with programming will definitely be advantageous.
- I’ve never been a mathematics or science person but I realized computer science is for everyone as long as you’re interested and continuously curious you can do anything you want with it.
- As a non-computer science major, I wanted to see what an increasingly tech-centric world looked like. This program gives you a lot of answers of what that does look like in terms of what startups you go to visit what you’re learning in the classroom and the hard and soft skills you can apply outside the program.